North Laine History

Home General Histories Buildings Streets People Talks and Walks The Conservation Area

Pelham Square

The three-storey houses on the western side and the two houses on the outer-most southern sides were erected in the early 1840s, possibly 1842, on the old North Hall estate, and were originally designed as a terrace called Pelham Terrace. The three-storey houses on the eastern side with small front gardens were erected c.1866. In 1867 the five two-storey houses on the inner-most southern side were added, blocking off Pelham Terrace, and thus creating Pelham Square in the shape we have today. The garden was used by York Place school as a recreational area. Now known officially as the Queen Mother's Garden, it was landscaped in 1980 to celebrate the Queen Mother's 80th birthday. The telephone boxes are on the Council's list of buildings of historic interest.


For more  information  on  Pelham Square go to: http://www.mhms.org.uk/content/street-history-pelham-square