North Laine History

Home General Histories Buildings Streets People Talks and Walks The Conservation Area

Marlborough Place

This street, at the bottom of Church Street,  originally developed from 1772 and then called North Row, once had  resort housing for the rich visiting Brighton in the late c18th. It is the only part of North Laine that faced the promenade area of The Steine and the sea. The King and Queen (1931) is a Tudor pastiche of an earlier building that was built in 1779 on the site of a farmhouse. The original inn catered for cricket and other sporting attractions held on the North Steine. The inn was also the venue for the town's corn market until it moved to the Corn Exchange in the late c19th. The neo-Georgian Allied Irish Bank building dates from 1933.  It was designed by John Denman for the Citizens Permanent Building Society. The carvings around its windows depict different trades.  No 26, with the black cobble front, on the corner with North Road, is a listed building.