North Laine History

Home General Histories Buildings Streets People Talks and Walks The Conservation Area

Bond Street

Bond Street developed in the second half of the 18th century, the south in 1745-79 and the north in the 1780s. It was the first road built northwards from North Street. In May 1794 it was renamed New Street but in 1805, with the arrival of New Road, Bond Street reverted to its original name.

Today this busy entrance to the North Laine is lined with small shops selling a variety of goods - cards, gifts, bags, clothing, pictures, jewellery and stationery. No 27 was the Wheatsheaf Inn until 1970 and its name can still be seen above the shop front today. Nos 35-38 are small 18th century cottages. No 35 serves as the Stage Door at the rear of the Theatre Royal.

Bond Street is within the North Laine Conservation Area, designated in 1977


27 Bond St

17 Bond St

18 Bond St